Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Wheat Free & Vegan Review Costa Christmas Cake


Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Wheat Free and Vegan Review 
Costa Gluten Free Christmas Cake  £1.75

Described on the label as 'A rich vegan fruit cake made with sultanas, raisins, cherries,dates,citrus peel and festive spices. Topped with a layer of marzipan and icing; this festive treat sound EXACTLY like what my lush buds ordered!


Now for me personally, the ultimate requirement on a cake of this kind is that they supply me with the right amount of icing! I really do not like it when there is way too much icing on gluten free treats (to make up for other ingredients missing usually - but then you are hit with an overpowering sweetness that spoils the treat) or to the opposite extreme where there is hardly any icing at all to compliment the cake! Well no worries here as this Christmas delight featured a perfectly sized slab of icing, not too thick, not too thin - just right in my opinion!

However, while on the subject of size my ONLY complaint about this juicy cake treat is that it is too small! The selection in Costa coffee shops for the almighty wheat eaters is ENORMOUS of course and they have some very delicious and chunky cake selections to choose from each day, presented so nicely and luring them seductively over to the glass counter each day as they arrive for their coffee! So it is always a bit of a disappointment to still see that the Gluten Free, Vegan and Dairy Free among us still have to settle with a kids sized slice in a sweaty wrapper (sorry Costa we do know that you are trying)... but.... we want more! Nom nom nom!


I found this Christmas cake by Costa to be extremely indulgent, sweet, spiced, flavourful, and well balanced. May be too sweet for some, but I do have a sweet tooth. Delicious. Sweet. Moist... and only £1.75! 

Needless to say after the above I really recommend it! Furthermore this would have been a 5 star review had the cake been served in the glass counter like all the others where it could have been sliced and placed on a plate beside my cuppa like every other cake! Equal opportunities for Gluten Free cakes please! They have feelings too! 

P.s I am posting this article today on 9th January 2017 and I popped into Costa today (it's one number one 'major' branded coffee shop in London) and I saw that it is still available! Seen as it is a seasonal cake I am pretty sure (without any confirmation) that it will go soon - so grab one today and try it before its 'Gone Till November"

Review by +Crystal King UK 

Twitter: @CrystalTheKing


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grab the Gluten Free Burger of your life down at Henry Burgers (Leigh-on-Sea, Essex)

FREAKS OF NATURE Desserts - No gluten, no dairy, no eggs and no soya!